Minutes

GSC General Meeting

Febrary 25, 2004

5:30-8 pm

McManus Conference Room

 

Meeting called by:

Mario Villarreal

Facilitator:

Mario Villarreal

Timekeeper:

 

Note taker:

Cynthia Olivio

Officers Present

Linda Bandov

Elisa Mann

 

Attendees:

Mario P.

Edward

Aris

Elizabeth

Tamir

Albert S.

 

Observers

Felicia

 

 

 

 

Agenda topics

 

BGSA Proposal

Linda

Discussion: BGSA asked for $1500 for their event in Spring (they originally asked for the money in the Fall, we asked them to table it until the Spring).  The event is to celebrate Brown v. Board of Education Anniversary.  Linda has the proposal.  The discussion included the fact that they have 100-200 members and that historically the GSC has supported their events.  BGSA is one of the main organizations that GSC has funded in the Spring for years.  Aris suggested we fund the proposal at $600.00 and made a motion.  Mario P. seconded the motion.    11 in favor, 0 against, 0 abstentions

Conclusions:  Ultimately, we voted unanimously in favor of giving them $600.00.

Action items:  Allocate monies to BGSA

Person responsible:  LB

Deadline: n/a

Presidents Update

 

Mario Villarreal

Discussion:  There has not been a lot of progress with the constitution, but Mario will do his best to continue working on it and will email us for our input soon.  There is some really great news for the GSC--the administration has approved an increase in our budget in the amount of $5,000 for next year.  Mario commended the group for all of the progress we have made.  Aris suggested that we send Mark Macias a thank you email to show him our appreciation for his significant contributions to the GSC, and students at CGU.  Edward suggested that we put this good news on the website.  Housing Ad Hoc Focus Group will meet at 2:00 p.m. on March 3, 2004. in Albrecht Auditorium with Housing students and then at 3:00 p.m. with anyone.  The CGU President will host the GSC at his home for dinner in April. 

Conclusions:

Action items:  Get tentative dates for the dinner.      

Person responsible: M.V.

Deadline:  N/A


Secretary’s Update

 

Linda Bandov

Discussion: Linda made a motion to approve the last meeting minutes.  Mario P. seconded the motion.  There were 10 in favor, 0 against, 2 abstentions (Elisa arrived late).  Website looks great, we should all take a look at it.  So far, we’ve had 130 visitors.  We’re working on getting the website address changed to something more accessible.  Like, http://www.gsc.cgu.edu/

.  Tamir asked about the business cards advertised on the website.  There was a short discussion regarding this.  He mentioned that once you pass your quals, you get 50-100 business cards for free.  Linda suggested that when we have the new website address we put table tents in the eating areas, posters, and email all students.   

Conclusions:  Minutes Approved

Action items:

Person responsible:

Deadline:

Vice President’s Update

 

Elisa Mann

Discussion:  Informal gathering, do we want to have it?  6 people responded to Elisa’s email and 3 of them were officers.  Saturday Mar. 13, came in first.  Sat. Mar. 27 came in 2nd.  Please respond to Elisa’s email.  Aris said that traditionally we have had an event at the end of the semester.  People suggested we go to Shogun, Tokyo Tokyo or Buca’s.  Elisa will send an email to see if we should meet on March 27 or April 3 in the evening. 

Conclusions:

Action items: Determine Dinner Date

Person responsible: E.M.

Deadline:

Treasurer’s Update

 

Linda Bandov

Discussion:  $2,500 spent at last meeting on IPLACE and MMP.  We’re on track with our budget.  Upcoming expenditures include the Spring Social, $600.00 for BGSA’s event, and the housing lounge equipment expenses which we will discuss later.

Conclusions:

Action items:

Person responsible:

Deadline:

Cost of Living Survey

 

Jeffrey Brown

Discussion:  Tamir has 3-4 surveys to give Jeffrey.  Mario P. had a few as well.  Please fax all others to Jeffrey or drop it by his box.  He will complete the results and send us an email and average out the figures.  He has around 70 surveys to review.  Mario V. offered his help to cross tabulate the data.  Linda suggested that we add an issues page on the website and put the Cost of Living Survey results there. 

Conclusions:

Action items:  Send out Results

Person responsible:  J.B.

Deadline:

Add Issues Page to Website and post this

Person responsible:  Website Committee

Deadline:

Spring Social Update

 

Mario Paez

Discussion:  Thurs., April 22, 2004 in the evening is the targeted date.  Mario will send out an email to let us know the details.  A discussion was held regarding the location of the event.  Linda said that in the Fall we had 300 people on campus.  When we went off campus in the Spring, we had 150 people attend.  Mario V. said that we really want to honor the graduating students with this Spring event and suggested that we serve really nice appetizers that are served by food servers.  Mario P said that they did aim to have this event be somewhat classier and formal--on campus.  Mario P. would like a list of organizations on campus so he can invite them to participate in this Spring event.  DSSA is willing to participate.  If reps. have specific organizations in their departments, get them in contact with Mario P.  Aris requested an email be sent to us to remind us about this.  Mario P. said that if we have this event on a Thursday as planned, we can have an after party.

Conclusions:

Action items:  Send out details

Person responsible:  M.P.

Deadline:

Housing

 

Tamer

Discussion:  Tamir said that there is no place to socialize in the Housing facilities.  We wanted to get a TV/DVD player and secure it to the wall.  Aris suggested a pool table, but it’s too big for the area.  Linda said that Dean Whitaker said that we should not spend our money on the TV/DVD because they would’ve spent the money on equipment, but it will get stolen.  We discussed putting a door in between the common area and the kitchen to limit access to the kitchen area where people put their food.  Linda suggested that instead of buying equipment, maybe we can sponsor an event.  Tamir said an event may not be the best because in the past, the police have been called when an event has occurred with a report of disturbing the peace.  Mario V. will bring this to the attention of Dean Whitaker.  We all tried to generate ideas to serve the 90 students who live in the residence halls to develop community and give the students something to do.  Mario said that if the university hired a Resident Director, they could check out and secure the equipment and develop community. 

Conclusions: None

Action items:  None

Person responsible:

Deadline:

Career Services Update

 

Linda Bandov

Discussion:  Linda will be working on putting the results together to present it to the administration on March 22, 2004.  There was some discussion regarding Career Services compiling a resume book for DSSA students and not making this service available for all CGU students.  There was a discussion regarding the scope of services provided by Career Services.  Some have not been pleased, others said that there are not enough resources for Career Services to be able to help students find jobs.  The review of the data from the Career Services Survey will allow us to figure out what the students feel. 

Conclusions:  None

Action items: None

Person responsible:

Deadline:

Travel Awards

 

Aris

Discussion:  Aris reported that a student was upset and complained to the administration regarding what they claimed to be unfair treatment during the selection process of the travel awards.  They believed that the prestige of the conference should have been taken into account when we were making the decision on who should receive travel awards.  Aris reminded the student that prestige was not a part of the criteria and that we only look at that if it’s a tie.  Jenny was sympathetic to the student, especially because it was someone from her department.  The student suggested that we get a listing of the top or prestigious conferences from each department.  We felt that this would not be revealing or helpful to do this.  Aris will add a “terms and conditions” section to the travel application before the Spring application is distributed.  He reminded us that Aug. 25 is the last day to travel.  The disbursement period is April 1-April 30.  Reps should email their students to encourage them to apply.  A student by the name of Allison won the $1,000 President’s award.  President Upham took a picture with the student.  We suggested that we post the picture on the website.  Jenny is in charge of sending out the travel awards.  There are five people who still haven’t been paid.  Mario V. will follow up with Jenny on this.  Aris reminded everyone that we need readers.  Jeff said that Drucker students couldn’t qualify for travel awards and that many students did not appreciate that.  Linda said that we awarded a Drucker student last year.  Aris said that Drucker students don’t travel because they don’t do research per se.  Mario V. said that Drucker students however are eligible for travel awards.  Jeff said that they don’t go to conferences to present papers.  Linda said that they can to Business Plan competitions and that would qualify them to compete.  Jeff said that he just wanted a way to promote this to Drucker students.  Elisa brought up such conferences as American Marketing Association where students can travel to.  Marcie said that Art students were given travel funds to go and look for emerging artists to bring the to CGU--it wasn’t a conference, but Aris said it qualified because it was research.

Conclusions:  None

Action items:  None

Person responsible:

Deadline:

IT Steering Committee

 

Aris

Discussion:  There was a faculty server meltdown which resulted in the faculty losing their email information, address books, etc.  Someone was fired because of it and the student body will benefit from the reconstruction of the server to faculty, as now they will take care of all of the issues we were dealing with.  CGU has a new website that will launch this summer.  Marcie brought up the spam problem.  Aris said that Chris Wyatt was working on it.  Tamir said that the number of span emails has been reduced because of spam filters that have been placed in.  Aris said that security and back up measures to faculty servers will happen for students as well.  Mario V. said that Aris needs a replacement for IT steering committee because Aris has served for two academic years.  Aris said that he stepped in to do this just because we needed someone and not because it is his area of specialty, but that he could see how an IT student would benefit from the experience in a much more meaningful way than he could.  Al said that he will have a new person in one week.

Conclusions: 

Action items:  Find replacement for Aris on committee

Person responsible:  A.S.?

Deadline:

Art proposal

 

Marcie Kaufman

Discussion:  Marcie passed around the Art event proposal where the GSC would partner with the Art department instead of sponsor individual art shows, and we would host a social with them once a year.  There was a lengthy discussion that resulted in Marcie forming an Art club so that they can put in a request for event funding.

Conclusions: 

Action items:  Create Art Club

Person responsible:  M.K.

Deadline:

Website/Banner/Conclusions

 

Jeffrey Brown

Discussion:  Can he take the $250.00 for the GSC banner and get someone to create a logo for us and the banner?  We voted unanimously in favor of this. 

 

A general announcement was made to send Katie events updates for March so that she can include them on the website in the calendar of events. 

 

Mario V motioned to adjourn the meeting

Mario P seconded

Conclusions: 

Action items:  Create Art Club, use banner money, send website updates

Person responsible:  M.K., JB, Everyone

Deadline: