Step-by-Step Directions for 5C Students
Sometime during your BA Program
- Decide what type of teacher you want to be.
- General Education Teacher
- Elementary school teacher. Preliminary multiple-subject credential
- Middle- or high-school teacher. CGU offers 5 Preliminary single-subject credentials: Science, English, Math, Social Studies or Spanish.
- Education Specialist (Special Education teacher)
- Working with kids with mild/moderate disabilities (mild/moderate preliminary credential)
- Working with kids with moderate/severe disabilities (moderate/severe preliminary credential)
- Shadow a teacher...or volunteer in a school...or substitute.
- Consider taking ONE Pathway for Teachers class if you are a General Education candidate. If you are a General Education Candidate, you should take one Pathway for Teachers class sometime during your BA Program. The credits earned in this class can be applied to your BA and to CGU's Teacher Education Program. This saves time, effort and money! To find a list of eligible classes, please see CGU's 4+1 Pathway for Teachers website.
Fall or Spring Term of Senior Year...or even in the summer between junior and senior year
- Prepare for and take the CSET & CBEST exams.
CGU's Teacher Education Department offers CSET Preparation Courses free of charge to all applicants. Classes typically offered in the Fall (starting in August), Spring (starting in January), and sometimes in the Summer (starting in May). For more information, please call 909/621-8076 or visit our website at http://www.cgu.edu/pages/9823.asp.
Spring Term of Senior Year
- Take EDUC 300G in the Spring term of their Senior year. It counts toward your BA and as the first mandatory course in CGU's Teacher Education Program. For permission to enroll in this course, call 909/621-8076 or email Joseph.Garcia@cgu.edu.
- Schedule an admissions & financial aid consultation. Contact Lisa.Loop@cgu.edu or call 909/621-8076.
- Apply between January-March (see the application checklist for CGU's 4+1 Pathway for Teachers)
- Mark your calendar for the Program's orientation. Your program will start in mid-June.