Master’s Degree Along the Way to the PhD
Who Qualifies for a Master's Along the Way?
- Only students enrolled in a single doctoral degree qualify for a master’s degree along the way.
- The master’s degree must be in the same field as the doctoral degree. Ex: PhD in History students may pick up an MA in History upon completion of the MA degree requirements.
- Students qualify in the semester in which all degree requirements for the master's have been or will be met.
- Students may NOT receive a master’s degree along the way to the PhD if the student has earned a previous master’s degree at any time and units from that degree are counted towards the Ph.D. (Basically, units cannot be triple counted.)
- Seek the advice of your academic department or the Office of Admission and Records staff to determine your eligibility or to clarify any questions that arise.
- Be mindful of degree deadlines posted in the academic calendar. Click here.
What About Dual Degree or an
Interfield Doctoral Degree Students?
Dual Degree students that have a PhD/MA or MS combination may not pick up a master’s degree in the doctoral field. Units in any student’s program may only be shared across two degrees, not three.
Interfield degree students may pick up a master’s degree in one of their two doctoral program fields, and if the student chooses to do so, he/she may not share the units for either degree in a subsequent degree. Units in any student’s program may only be shared across two degrees, not three.
How Do I Process My Request for a
Master’s Degree Along The Way?
- In the semester in which your MA/MS requirements are complete, file an Intent to Receive a Degree Form in the Office of Admission and Records by the deadline stated in the academic calendar. (A link to the form is below) .
a. In addition to the “Intent” form, you must also submit an academic record /unofficial transcript with courses highlighted corresponding to master’s degree that you are seeking along the way.
- Additionally, you will need to make sure that your MA Final Approval has been completed in your academic department and submitted to the Office of Admission and Records by the deadline stated in the academic calendar.
Forms and Resources
Intent Form: Intent to Receive a Degree Form
Master’s Final Approval Form: Master’s Degree -or- Certificate Final Approval Form
Academic Calendar: www.cgu.edu/calendar