A leave of absence is an approved withdrawal from your studies. A leave of absence is granted for one semester at a time and is not automatically renewed. You may not be away from your studies for longer than two consecutive semesters each time. If you need more time, you should withdraw from the University and request readmission when you are ready to resume your program of studies.
Leaves of absence may have serious implications.
If you received financial aid or other student loans during the semester of your requested leave, your eligibility for aid may be affected by changes in enrollment. It is your responsibility to determine your lender's requirements regarding approved leaves and repayment. Contact Financial Aid (firstname.lastname@example.org or 909-621-8337) for assistance before submitting your leave of absence request.
If you are not enrolled but received financial aid or other student loans in the past, please note that your existing loans may go into repayment status. Repayment generally begins six months from the last semester of enrollment. It is your responsibility to determine and understand your lender's requirements regarding approved leaves and repayment. Contact Financial Aid (email@example.com or 909-621-8337) for assistance before submitting your leave of absence request.
If you are an international student, you must consult with the International Student Coordinator before submitting a leave of absence request to ensure your continued compliance with SEVIS requirements. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (909) 607-0434.
Eligibility. You must have completed at least one semester of studies in your degree program in order to request a leave of absence. In addition, you must provide and document acceptable reasons for the requested absence from your studies.
Purpose. Leaves of absence are generally granted for reasons of financial or personal hardship, medical or family leave, medical disability, military service, and academic research. Under certain conditions, such as for military service or academic research, a period longer than one semester may be approved.
Conditions and Provisions. Students approved for a leave of absence are entitled to the following.
- You are exempt from paying tuition fees (Doctoral Study, Continuous Registration, etc.) during the semester of your leave.
- A leave of absence means you are away from your studies. You may, however, elect to retain library access and other student services. To do so, you must indicate this on your Leave of Absence Request Form and pay the current Student Services and Technology Fees.
- Students on a leave of absence may not continue to work in positions for which being a student is a requirement of the position.
- Students on an approved leave are automatically reactivated for the next semester of enrolllment. You are responsible for adhering to all registration and Add/Drop deadlines for your next semester of eligible enrollment. You must also clear any outstanding holds on your account before your can register for classes.
- An approved leave of absence extends your Time to Degree by the duration of your leave.
Procedures and Limitations. Leaves of absence must be requested in writing. Complete the Leave of Absence Request Form and attach appropriate documentation to support the reason for your leave of absence. Please advise your department/program of your intentions prior to completing and submitting your request for a leave of absence.
If You Have Not Registered for the semester of your leave of absence, no tuition or fees are required, unless you request access to library and other student services.
Limitations If You Are Already Enrolled. If you are already registered for the semester of your requested leave, please be aware of the following.
- Refunds are processed based upon the date of your approved leave and according to the Add/Drop deadlines and refund schedules for the applicable semester. A Financial Policy Appeal must be submitted for consideration of any exceptions.
- Note that the CGU Student and Technology Fees are non-refundable fees. See the Tuition & Fees disclosures on the Student Accounts web page.
- Courses for which you have already received a grade may not be dropped.
Approval. Requests for a leave of absence are submitted to the registrar.
Extending Your Leave. If you are currently on a leave of absence and need to extend the leave for a second semester, complete and submit a new Leave of Absence Request. In your personal statement, indicate that you wish to extend your leave and provide your reasons. Students are limited to two consecutive semesters on leave of absence status.
Returning from Leave. Students are automatically activated to register for the semester following a leave of absence.
BACK TO TOP
In exceptional circumstances, permission for a leave of absence of up to one year for full-time research or other activities directly related to a student’s academic program may be approved.
Procedure. Leaves of Absence for Research are requested in writing. Complete the Leave of Absence Request and in your personal statement, indicate that you are seeking a leave for research purposes. Provide details about your intended research as follows.
- Provide a tentative itinerary of dates and locations which will serve as the sites for your research, specifying educational institutions, corporations and business entities, government agencies, and research facilities to be visited.
- Identify distinguished professionals with whom you intend to meet.
- Specify why you are unable to conduct your research at CGU and how the research you propose will enhance your degree program goals or contribute toward the composition of your dissertation.
- If you expect to attend a program at another institution, provide details about the program, including location, courses or program of study, and a statement about how this opportunity contributes to your degree program goals. NOTE: Be sure to obtain the appropriate documentation should you plan to request Transfer Credit for an academic activity when you return to CGU.
Leaves of Absence for Research are submitted to the registrar, who will coordinate obtaining concurrence of your dean and the approval of the Provost.
Conditions and Limitations. During an approved leave, you are exempt from paying tuition fees (Doctoral Study, Continuous Registration, etc.). Research leaves do not affect the time limit for completion of all your degree requirements. To avoid delays when you are ready to return to CGU, be sure to check the expiration term of your time to degree before embarking on a Leave of Absence for Research.
Special Note. Students who require a letter of introduction to other institutions, government embassies and consulates, or other international entities may request these documents from the Registrar's Office.
BACK TO TOP
It is the policy of Claremont Graduate University that if any student, because of an apparent medical or psychological condition, poses a threat to the physical well-being of him/herself or any other member of the University or Claremont Colleges community, or a threat to serious destruction of property, such student may be placed on an involuntary medical leave of absence. This policy applies to medical and psychological problems only, and not to matters solely of a disciplinary nature.
A copy of the procedures for implementation of this policy may be obtained from the Dean of Students.
BACK TO TOP
Contact the Registrar's Office.
Return to the Registrar's web page.