A leave of absence is an approved withdrawal from your studies. A leave of absence is granted is granted for one semester at a time and is not automatically renewed. You may not be away from your studies for longer than two consecutive semesters each time. If you need more time, you should withdraw from the University and request readmission when you are ready to resume your program of studies.
||To ensurance compliance with SEVIS and student visa regulations, international students are strongly encouraged to consult with the International Student Coordinator whenever contemplating a leave of absence.
Eligibility. You must have completed at least one semester of studies in your degree program in order to request a leave of absence. In addition, you must provide and document acceptable reasons for the requested absence from your studies.
Purpose. Leaves of absence are generally granted for reasons of financial or personal hardship, medical or family leave, medical disability, military service, and academic research. Under certain conditions, such as for military service or academic research, a period longer than one semester may be approved.
Conditions and Provisions. Students approved for a leave of absence are entitled to the following.
- You are exempt from paying tuition fees (Doctoral Study, Continuous Registration, etc.) during the semester of your leave.
- A leave of absence means you are away from your studies. You may, however, elect to retain library access and other student services. To do so, you must indicate this on your Leave of Absence Request Form and pay the current Student Services and Technology Fees.
- You must notify your department when you are ready to resume your studies. Your department will advise the Registrar's Office so that you will be activated to register for the next semester. Note that you are responsible for adhering to all registration and Add/Drop deadlines. You must also clear any outstanding holds on your account before your can register for classes.
- An approved leave of absence extends your Time to Degree by the duration of your leave.
Procedures and Limitations. Leaves of absence must be requested in writing. Complete the Leave of Absence Request Form and attach appropriate documentation to support the reason for your leave of absence. Please advise your department/program of your intentions prior to completing and submitting your request for a leave of absence.
If You Have Not Registered for the semester of your leave of absence, no tuition or fees are required, unless you request access to library and other student services.
Limitations If You Are Already Registered. If you are already registered for the semester of your requested leave, please be aware of the following.
- Refunds are processed based upon the date of your approved leave and according to the Add/Drop deadlines and refund schedules for the applicable semester. A Financial Policy Appeal must be submitted for consideration of any exceptions.
- Note that the Student Services and Technology Fees are non-refundable fees. See the Tuition & Fees disclosures on the Student Accounts web page.
- Courses for which you have already received a grade may not be dropped.
Approval. Requests for a leave of absence are submitted to the Office of Student Affairs.
BACK TO TOP
In exceptional circumstances, permission for a leave of absence of up to one year for full-time research or other activities directly related to a student’s academic program may be approved.
Procedure. Leaves of Absence for Research are requested in writing. Send a request to your advisor and to your dean providing details about your intended research. Indicate why you are unable to conduct your research at CGU. Reasons may include extensive travel and unique opportunities for you to access research facilities in other parts of the world; to work with research and distinguished professionals for an extended period of time; or to conduct research in areas of interest to your dissertation project or objective.
Upon approval, your dean will submit your request to the Provost for approval. Student Affairs will notify you of the disposition of your request.
Conditions and Limitations. During an approved leave, you are exempt from paying tuition fees (Doctoral Study, Continuous Registration, etc.). Research leaves do not affect the time limit for completion of all your degree requirements. To avoid delays when you are ready to return to CGU, be sure to check the expiration term of your time to degree before embarking on a Leave of Absence for Research.
Special Note. Students who require a letter of introduction to other institutions, government embassies and consulates, or other international entities may request these documents from the Registrar's Office.
BACK TO TOP
It is the policy of Claremont Graduate University that if any student, because of an apparent medical or psychological condition, poses a threat to the physical well-being of him/herself or any other member of the University or Claremont Colleges community, or a threat to serious destruction of property, such student may be placed on an involuntary medical leave of absence. This policy applies to medical and psychological problems only, and not to matters solely of a disciplinary nature.
A copy of the procedures for implementation of this policy may be obtained from the Dean of Students.
BACK TO TOP
Contact the Office of the Dean of Students.
Return to the Registrar's web page.