1. Students come first. CGU is student-friendly. It's a place where you will receive personal attention and enjoy easy access to professors and world-class resources. It is a place where faculty and staff will work closely with you to design an academic program that complements your professional goals and personal passions. CGU is a place where you can learn, live, explore, and grow. Our students are encouraged to choose a broader intellectual path.
2. All graduate, all the time. CGU is the only research-extensive university in the nation devoted entirely to graduate-level education. In most other graduate schools, professors are divided between undergraduate responsibilities and their graduate students. Here, your professors are “graduate only,” meaning they are dedicated only to you and to the highest levels of teaching, scholarship, and service.
3. A cutting-edge approach to graduate education. Our transdisciplinary approach to graduate education allows students to choose coursework from different and diverse academic departments, providing the widest possible body of knowledge to address any issue. Our graduates approach contemporary problems with tools from many fields.
4. Real skills for the real world. In addition to traditional theory and research, our schools and departments also stress the skills, knowledge, and problem-solving techniques that employers seek. Many of our students say this applied focus was what made them choose CGU over other graduate programs.
5. Close relationships with expert faculty. Our highly engaged faculty sets standards for excellence in teaching and scholarship, enriching their classrooms with innovative research and real-world experience. CGU’s student-faculty ratio of 12:1 means students interact closely with distinguished faculty members, in the classroom and as colleagues.
6. You'll be in good company. Being part of the highly reputable Claremont CollegesConsortium provides CGU students with access to superior resources and services. As a CGU student you can take classes with many of the 550 faculty members in the Claremont Colleges Consortium, make use of four libraries with more than 2-million volumes, and involve yourself in a host of affiliated organizations, programs, and institutes.
7. You're making a good investment. While the cost of graduate school may appear daunting, CGU is a good investment, absolutely and relatively. Our Ph.D. tuition drops dramatically after the first two years, our students earn more money because of their degrees, and our tuition is lower than most other eminent private research universities.
8. Claremont is a wonderful place to live. The “City of trees and PhD’s,” Claremont is a beautiful college town of Craftsman-style homes, friendly people, and sweeping views of the San Gabriel Mountains. This charming and safe town is the perfect place to study hard, enjoy local culture, raise a family, or plot your next big career move. Claremont has won the National Arbor Day Foundation's Tree City USA award for 19 straight years. Additionally, Money Magazine just ranked Claremont as one of the top 5 places to live in the United States. The article describes Claremont:
“The downtown is a mix of hip boutiques and old-school businesses. And the historic College Heights Lemon Packing House is now home to the Claremont Art Museum, restaurants, a jazz bar and artists' lofts.”
9. Location, location, location. CGU is located just 35 miles from Los Angeles, one of the world’s most dynamic, diverse, and metropolitan cities. The amusements of Hollywood, Malibu, Pasadena, and Santa Monica, as well as the wilderness of the San Gabriel mountains and the California desert are just a short drive away.
10. One word: SUNSHINE. We enjoy sunshine more than 300 days a year in Claremont, with winter temperatures in the low-60s. Fall brings the dazzling colors of changing leaves, while winter provides breathtaking views of snow-capped mountains. Still, the sun keeps shining.