Part D: Community
Gaining familiarity with a larger societal framework via analysis of the schools and communities in which the interns work.
What is happening in my school’s community?
1. What is my community’s history?
- Settlement history
- Population influxes
- Industry influxes
- Events that shaped the community’s psyche and/or identity
2. How can I describe the community so that my reader has an accurate sense of it?
- Population demographics
- Community gathering places, landmarks, and establishments
- Appearance, maintenance, and style
3. What are my community’s resources?
- Social / human / family services
- Seminal community events
- After school / weekend / summer programs for kids
- Pillars of the community; leaders, religious institutions, businesses, government
4. What are my community’s aspirations and concerns?
- For the present?
- For the future?
5. What community events have I attended?
- How are they representative of the community’s gestalt?