Academic Program Changes &
Beginning a New Academic Program

The information provided in these pages is for students who meet the following qualifications. 
  • Continuing students who want to change their academic program/degree or add a certificate program 
  • Graduating students who want to enter a new academic program/degree

A list of specific types of changes is presented in the right sidebar.  Please consult these links for specific instructions and forms applicable to the specific type of change. 

General Policies

Changes to student programs are governed by the academic policies of the programs involved.  These policies are detailed in the CGU Bulletin.  Specific instructions, guidelines, and forms are available from the links in the right sidebar.

  • Program changes are effective at the beginning of the semester following the date of approval.
  • Students are responsible for determining and finalizing departmental financial arrangements prior to submitting a request for a program change.
  • International students must secure the approval of the International Students Coordinator for any program changes.
  • Students who graduate from one program and are admitted into a new degree program are generally expected to begin the new program in the next semester.  Enrollment in a new program may be deferred, but for no more than one year.

Coursework for Multiple CGU Degrees

Students may only share units between two degrees. If a student completes two degrees and units are shared, he/she may not transfer or count any of the units from either of those degrees towards any subsequent CGU degree. 

Application of Units and Credits

Transfer Credit

For dual degrees, the number of units that may be accepted as transfer credit are limited as follows.

  • No more than 12 units for dual degrees that consist of a Masters/Doctoral combination.
  • No units for dual degrees that consist of two Masters degrees.
Double Counting

Students in an approved dual degree may double count the number of units upon approval of the academic department(s) and the Registrar's Office.  No more than 35% of the units from one program may be counted toward the required units of the second program.

Students who are not in a dual degree program may count units from one CGU degree to another as long as the coursework is applicable to the degree program receiving credit.


Doctoral Degrees

  • If a student counts units from a completed  CGU master’s degree in the exact same field, all master’s units may count towards the doctoral degree upon approval.
  • If a student counts units from a completed CGU master’s degree in a different field, a maximum of 24 related units may count towards the doctoral degree upon approval.
  • If a student did not or will not complete the master’s degree and moves into a doctoral degree in the same field, all related units, upon approval, may count up to the maximum allowed in the doctoral program.

Previous CGU coursework credit that is applied toward a student's current doctoral program must be documented using the Doctoral Program Requirements Detail Authorization to Apply Previous CGU Coursework Credit form.  This form is completed jointly by the student and the student's advisor and must be approved by the department.


Master’s Degrees

  • If a student transfers units from a completed CGU master’s degree to a new master’s degree, the number of units that may count are based on the number of units required to complete the new master’s degree: 
    • No more than 15 units may be transferred into master’s requiring 60 units
    • No more than 10 into those requiring 48 units
    • No more than 6 into those requiring fewer than 48 units

   Common Terminology

Counts – This term is used to refer to the applicability of units or coursework toward a particular degree or  program.  Transcripts do not detail how individual units are counted or credited.

Carry Forward – Units or credit that are taken at another institution and counted toward a CGU degree program.  Examples: Accelerated BA/MA students take CGU courses while enrolled as an undergraduate in the Claremont Colleges; these units are counted toward the CGU master's program.  Also, students in joint doctoral programs with SDSU and CSULB count non-CGU units toward a CGU doctoral degree.

Transferring – The acceptance and application of units or coursework from one institution to another.  Students request transfer credit for coursework completed at another accredited graduate institution.




Your department.

   Return to registrar's webpage.
   Rev 3/12

  Master’s degree to a different master’s degree
  Master’s degree to a doctoral degree

Master’s along the way to the PhD

  Doctoral degree to a different doctoral degree
  Doctoral degree to a master’s degree
  Changes to your concentration within
your degree
  Certificate to a Degree
  Doctoral degree to an interfield doctoral degree
  Interfield doctoral degree to a doctoral degree
  Single degree to a dual degree
  Dual degree to a single degree
  Dual degree for new students

2014 Claremont Graduate University 150 E. 10th St., Claremont, CA 91711 (909) 621-8000 Campus Safety Emergency Info Campus Map/Directions Give us feedback