Doctoral Degree to a Different Doctoral Degree

This page is for use by:

Students currently enrolled in a doctoral degree who wish to leave that degree without completing it and begin a new / different  doctoral degree may do so upon approval.

Students completing a doctoral degree who wish to begin another doctoral degree may do so upon approval.

  • This request must be made during the semester in which the first doctoral degree will be completed/conferred.
  • The  second doctoral degree must begin in the semester following the completion of the first degree. Enrollment must be continuous. (Remember summer is not a semester in which enrollment is required.) 

NOTE TO ALUMNI:  If an Alumnus/Alumna leaves CGU and returns more than one semester after completing his/her first degree and wishes to begin a second degree, he/she must submit an application to Admissions.

To Process the Request:

Students must complete and secure academic signatures on the following form and submit it to the Office of Admission and Records for processing prior to the start of the semester in which the change/new degree program is to take effect.
Click to download form:  Current Student Changing to a New Degree Form
Once the request has been approved, the student and the new academic department will receive a confirmation email.

It is the student’s responsibility to be familiar with all CGU policies and limitations regarding
multiple degrees at/from CGU as well as double-counting and transferring units between programs.

Click to view policy:  CGU Policies on Multiple Degrees and Units

Also, new doctoral students are required to take the T-Course in their second doctoral year. Click here for information.


Back to main page

2014 Claremont Graduate University 150 E. 10th St., Claremont, CA 91711 (909) 621-8000 Campus Safety Emergency Info Campus Map/Directions Give us feedback