Certificate to a Degree

This page is for use by:

Students currently enrolled in a certificate who wish to leave that certificate without completing it and begin a master’s or doctoral degree may do so upon approval.

Students completing a certificate who wish to begin a master’s or doctoral degree may do so upon approval.

  • This request must be made during the semester in which the certificate will be completed/conferred.
  • The master’s or doctoral degree must begin in the semester following the completion of the certificate. Enrollment must be continuous. (Remember summer is not a semester in which enrollment is required.) 
         -  If a student leaves CGU and returns more than one semester after completing his/her program and wishes to begin another program, he/she must submit an application to Admissions.

Certificate students must work with their intended department of study to ensure that they have met the requirements for admission to the degree program.

  • The department may advise the student to submit additional documentation to complete requirements for admission to that degree.


To Process the Request:

Students must complete and secure academic signatures on the following form and submit it to the Office of Admission and Records for processing prior to the start of the semester in which the change/new degree program is to take effect.
Click to download form:  Application to Change Certificate to a Degree Form
Once the request has been approved, the student and the new academic department will receive a confirmation email.
Back to main page
revised: 08/08

2014 Claremont Graduate University 150 E. 10th St., Claremont, CA 91711 (909) 621-8000 Campus Safety Emergency Info Campus Map/Directions Give us feedback