Doctoral Degree to an Interfield Doctoral Degree

Students currently enrolled in a doctoral/master’s degree who wish to leave that degree without completing it and begin an interfield doctoral degree may do so upon approval.

Students completing a master’s/doctoral degree who wish to begin an interfield doctoral degree may do so upon approval.

  • This request must be made during the semester in which the first degree will be completed/conferred.
  • The interfield degree must begin in the semester following the completion of the first degree. Enrollment must be continuous. (Remember summer is not a semester in which enrollment is required.) 

NOTE TO ALUMNI:  If an Alumnus/Alumna leaves CGU and returns more than one semester after completing his/her first degree and wishes to begin a second degree, he/she must submit an application to Admissions.
Students must complete and secure academic signatures on the following two form s and submit them to the Office of Admission and Records for processing prior to the start of the semester in which the change/new degree program is to take effect.
Click to download form:  Current Student Changing to a New Degree Form
Click to download form: Interfield Coursework Proposal Form
Once the request has been approved, the student and the new academic department will receive a confirmation email.

It is the student’s responsibility to be familiar with all CGU policies and limitations regarding
multiple degrees at/from CGU as well as double-counting and transferring units between programs.

Students who have completed a degree, move into an interfield, and share units are precluded from picking up a master’s degree along the way to the interfield doctoral degree.

Click to view policy:  CGU Policies on Multiple Degrees and Units

Also, new doctoral students are required to take the T-Course in their second doctoral year. Click here for information.


Back to main page
revised: 08/08

2014 Claremont Graduate University 150 E. 10th St., Claremont, CA 91711 (909) 621-8000 Campus Safety Emergency Info Campus Map/Directions Give us feedback