Screening Exam Questions 2009
Design a database for a travel agency. The database will be used by the general public via a website.
When answering this question, clearly state any assumptions you make. Make sure you include 1) ER diagram, and 2) all necessary, relational tables based on your ER diagram, and 3) one example of a stored procedure (pseudo code suffices) with an explanation of its functionality and why it’s needed.
SISAT’s information systems development curriculum, beginning with IS305, emphasizes object orientation and agility. In what ways are the principles of these software development approaches harmonious? In what ways are they incompatible? How do they (when used together) fit with important aspects of traditional project management, such as budgeting, scheduling, and oversight? Are there some software development projects for which OO and agile are nearly an ideal fit? Are there some for which they are a particularly poor fit?
- Distinguish among analog data, analog signaling and analog transmission. Also, distinguish among digital data, digital signaling and digital transmission.
- Why Packet switching is necessary? Explain in detail how packet switching mechanism works including the anomalies such as lost packet(s), out-of-sequence packet(s) and duplicate packet(s). Does packet switching result in substantial end-to-end delays as compared to circuit switching: why or why not?
- What is Web 2.0? List and explain any 3 technological advances that have made Web 2.0 possible. Describe any one Web 2.0 application and its impact on the today’s life style.
IT Governance is a critical aspect to the success of IT performance in any organization and much has been written about the role of the CIO in this context. However, for many private and public organizations successful IT governance involves inter-organizational cooperation. For example, health care delivery depends of pharmacies cooperating with hospitals and governmental services can often rely on local governments sharing data.
In thinking about research and practice in this (inter-organizational) governance domain, please discuss:
1) Key research concepts or findings to consider when collaborating with other organizations to deliver an IT service to a customer or citizen;
2) From a practice point of view, what would be your priorities in designing an interganizational system in order to ensure: 1) an appropriate management structure and process (such as but not limited to a strategic architecture), and 2) adequate metrics to assess success.
Discuss the ways that IT can affect a firm strategically. How does the nature of system acquisition (i.e., leased, purchased off-the-shelf, custom built in house, custom built by contractors…) make a difference in strategic effects? How does the nature of service provision (i.e., outsourced domestic, outsourced offshore, insourced…) make a difference in strategic effects? What other important variables moderate the relationship between IT choices and strategic outcomes?
Putting on your philosophy of science, hat, answer the following questions:
a. How would an empiricist view design research?
b. How would a naturalist view design research?
c. How would a scientific realist view design research?