Tel el-Far'ah South Archaeological Project
The IAC, led by Tammi J. Schneider, in conjunction with Ben Gurion University of the Negev, under the direction of Gunnar Lehmann, is renewing excavations at the site of Tel el-Far'ah (South) in Israel. Our interest in Tel el-Far'ah (South) stems from the site's location on the border of ancient Israel making it an ideal place to conduct research focused on understanding the role of Israel as a border of empires. W.M.F. Petri excavated the site in 1928 and 1929, publishing the results slightly thereafter. His excavations produced enough material to indicate that the periods when Israel was involved with major empires exist at the site, though the finds were not originally excavated with this issue in mind.
The field of archeology has changed significantly since the previous excavations leaving the earlier work and report sorely outdated. As a result, Tel el-Far'ah (South) is a perfect candidate for re-excavation because there is enough information available to allow excavation from a knowledgeable position yet the site is in need of a more thorough examination. An important element of the renewed excavations is the incorporation and development of new technology in the recovery, recording, and publication of the excavation.
Publications for the project include:
Tammi J. Schneider and Gunnar Lehmann, “Tel el-Far'a (South) (G-56/98),” in Hadashot Arkheologiyot: Excavations and Surveys in Israel 112, (Jerusalem: Israel Antiquities Authority, ), 144-145 (English summary, 114).
Tammi J. Schneider and Gunnar Lehmann, “A New Ostracon from Tell el-Far’ah (South),” Near Eastern Archaeology 63/2 (2000) 113.
Tammi J. Schneider, “Tell el-Far’ah (South),” Israel Exploration Journal 50/3-4 (2000) 258-61.
To view this project's website, please go to Tel el-Far'ah South
Dr. Tammi J. Scheider is Professor of Religion (Hebrew Bible)
at Claremont Graduate University.