CGU Dissertation Grants
The Office of the Provost annually awards grants ranging from $5,000 to $10,000 on a competitive basis to advanced doctoral students to facilitate more rapid completion of promising and distinctive dissertation projects.
Click here to see SAH students who have received CGU Dissertation Grants.
- Must be CURRENTLY REGISTERED as a doctoral-track student in any field of study at CGU.
- COMPLETION OF ALL COURSE WORK FOR THE PH.D., with the exception of Dissertation Research units which have been approved by the faculty.
- ADVANCEMENT TO CANDIDACY, including approval of the Dissertation Proposal and submission of the Advancement to Candidacy form (Form Two) to the Registrar’s Office by a specific date (see most recent application for the current date).
- A STRONG EXPECTATION OF COMPLETION of all requirements for the Ph.D. degree within a specified time (see most recent application for this time period).
- PREVIOUS RECIPIENTS are not eligible.
- DOCTORAL STUDY REGISTRATION must be maintained at CGU.
Criteria for Evaluation and Award Process:
A committee appointed by the Provost will review all applications, identify finalists, review letters of
recommendation, and select recipients. Committee members may or may not be in the applicant’s home
school or discipline. The specific criteria of evaluation are as follows:
- the academic merit or significance of the project;
- the student’s command of the material and clarity in contextualizing the dissertation within previous scholarship;
- the clarity, validity and feasibility of the proposed methodology and/or research techniques;
- the feasibility of the projected timeline, as indicated in part by the submitted draft dissertation chapter(s);
- the case for how the grant will affect the student’s activities and prospects;
- the student’s academic record, and (7--for finalists only) the letters of recommendation.