Transfer Credit

Coursework completed at another institution may be evaluated by an academic program and accepted for credit toward a student's degree requirements at CGU.  This kind of coursework is referred to as transfer credit because credit for these courses are transferred into CGU from another institution.

Coursework approved for transfer credit is documented on your transcript with a notation indicating the source of the transfer credit and the number of units for which you are credited.  Individual courses and grades received are not recorded on your CGU transcript.  Further, grades received for non-CGU or Claremont Colleges courses are not factored into your CGU record. 

Requirements for Accepting Transfer Credit

Source.  Only coursework from regionally accredited institutions may be accepted as transfer credit.  Courses offered by the Claremont Colleges are accepted only when enrollment is completed through CGU.

Documentation.  An official transcript from the institution where the coursework was completed must be submitted to CGU.

Accounting.  Units at CGU are based upon semester units, requiring a conversion if the units earned are quarter units.  One quater unit equals .667 semester units.  Fractions are dismissed, since CGU uses only whole units.

  • 36 quarter units convert to 24 semester units
  • 6 quater units convert to 4 semester units
  • 3 quarter units convert to 2 semester units

Achievement.  Students must achieve a grade of B or better in any coursework accepted as transfer credit.

Completion Dates.  Transfer credit may be granted for coursework completed before an individual becomes a student at CGU as well as for coursework taken while the individual is a CGU student.

  • Applicants.  Transfer credit for coursework completed before an individual becomes a student at CGU is submitted and evaluated as part of the individual application process.  Departments must complete the Transfer Credit Request Form, specifically identifying the courses for which transfer credit is to be granted.
  • Current Students.  CGU students should obtain approval from the academic department prior to enrolling in courses outside of CGU.  Upon completion of the course, a transcript is submitted to the academic department for review.  Departments complete the Transfer Credit Request Form, attach the official transcript, and submit the package to the Registrar's Office for processing.

Age of Courses.  Individual programs reserve the right to deny transfer credit for any and all coursework that may be considered old, dated, or no longer relevant to the discipline.


Claremont Graduate University (CGU) reserves the right to require review by a foreign credentials evaluator of any coursework for which transfer credit is requested.  Reasons for requiring an external evaluation include the absence of an official transcript that certifies regional accreditation or affiliation with a regionally accredited institution; the absence of credit hour standards at which the coursework was completed that would assist in calculating and substantiating the amount of transfer credit requested.

In the event an external evaluation is required, CGU's preferred provider is World Education Services (


Limits on Transfer Credit

Masters Degrees.  The number of units accepted for transfer credit are limited, based upon the units required for the particular degree program.

  • 15 units, if 60 or more units are required for the degree
  • 10 units, if 48 to 59 units are required for the degree
  • 6 units, if less than 48 units are required for the degree

Doctoral Degrees.  For doctoral degrees, no more than 24 units may be accepted as transfer credit.  In addition, other stipulations apply.

  • Units that are transferred into a CGU program must be relevant to the student's program of study at CGU.  This determination is made by the student's academic program.
  • In some cases, transfer credit may be assigned based upon the general content of a program completed outside CGU.  This determination is made by the student's academic program. 
  • For units completed outside the United States, coursework that was applied toward completion of a bachelor's degree may not be accepted for transfer credit.
  • The amount of transfer credit accepted for doctoral students may impact the student's residency requirement and time to degree.


Amount of Transfer Credit Residency Requirement Maximum Time to Degree
13 units or more

24 units within 2 years

6 years
12 units or less Two full semesters in 2 years or 36 units in 2-1/2 years 6-1/2 years


Dual Degrees.  Limitations on transfer credit for dual degree programs are as follows.
  • No more than 12 units may be transferred into a dual degree program that consists of a Masters and a Doctoral combination.
  • No units may be transferred into a dual degree program that consists of two Masters degrees.



Questions regarding transfer credit should be referred to the Registrar's Office, or (909) 621-8285. 

Return to the Registrar's webpage.


2014 Claremont Graduate University 150 E. 10th St., Claremont, CA 91711 (909) 621-8000 Campus Safety Emergency Info Campus Map/Directions Give us feedback