Maintaining Your Student Status

All students are required to maintain a student status for the duration of their period of study at Claremont Graduate University (CGU).  Student status is maintained in the following ways.

Registration or filing for a leave of absence must be completed within the registration deadlines applicable to the semester and no later than the Add/Drop deadline to avoid being withdrawn for lack of enrollment.  Note that there are different financial implications for submitting and processing transactions at different times during the semester.  Consult the Academic Calendar for enrollment, registration, and refund schedules.

After the Add/Drop deadline, students are withdrawn by the University for lack of enrollment.  An application for readmission may be required for the student to resume studies at CGU.  This process is required if a student is not registered before the last day of the semester in which the student was withdrawn for lack of enrollment.

Students are responsible for the financial implications that result from any changes or delays to changes in student status.  Always consult Financial Aid regarding any impacts on financial aid eligibility.


Continuous Registration/Doctoral Study

Students who have completed their course requirements and are working on other degree requirements that do not require enrollment in courses must nevertheless maintain their student status for continued advising services, use of library privileges, and for financial aid purposes.  This requirement applies whether or not the student is physically on campus for the applicable semester.

During the registration period, students must enroll in Continuous Registration or Doctoral Study as appropriate.

  • Masters students enroll in Continuous Registration (400M).
  • Doctoral students enroll in Doctoral Study (499).

Eligibility.  Enrollment in Continuous Registration/Doctoral Study is restricted to masters and doctoral students who have completed at least one semester of course work in their degree program.  Students who are new to a program may not enroll in Continuous Registration/Doctoral Study during their first semester in the new program.

Registration Deadlines.  Enrollment in Continuous Registration/Doctoral Study is subject to the same registration deadlines as for other courses.  You must enroll during the announced registration period to avoid late registration fees and before the Add/Drop deadline to avoid being withdrawn for lack of enrollment.  Current fees for late registration and for enrollment changes are available from the Tuition & Fees chart on the Student Accounts webpage.

Registration Status.  Students enrolled in Continuous Registration/Doctoral Study are considered full time students for enrollment verification and financial aid purposes.

Restrictions.  Continuous Registration/Doctoral Study are non-graded courses and do not earn units for the purposes of degree candidacy.  Because these course are not variable unit courses, no other unit-earning courses may be taken during a semester in which the student is enrolled in Continuous Registration/Doctoral Study.


Other Registration Considerations

Registering in Unit-Earning Courses.  Students who have outstanding financial aid or student loan obligations must be enrolled in unit-earning courses.  Enrolling solely in courses on an audit basis yields a study list of zero units.  When reported to the National Student Clearinghouse (and the University is required to make regular reports on student enrollments throughout the semester), these kinds of schedules trigger the repayment process for any outstanding loans in the student's name.

Time to Degree.  Students are generally limited to ten semesters of Continuous Registration/Doctoral Study, primarily due to expectations on time to degree, financial aid ceilings, and considerations for debt accumulations undertaken by students.  Additional semesters of Continuous Registration/Doctoral Study beyond the ten semesters are approved by the student's department.

Satisfactory Academic Progress.  Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in their degree programs.



Registrar's Office: or (909) 621-8285

Financial Aid: or (909) 621-8337

International Student Coordinator: or (909) 607-3371

Your Department Contact


Return to the registrar's webpage.


Rev 1/14


2014 Claremont Graduate University 150 E. 10th St., Claremont, CA 91711 (909) 621-8000 Campus Safety Emergency Info Campus Map/Directions Give us feedback