Doctor of Philosophy in Musicology (Ph.D. in Musicology)

A minimum of 72 units of course work beyond the bachelor's degree is required for the Doctor of Philosophy in Musicology degree. All core requirements, including MUS 301a,b, MUS 302, MUS 303, and MUS 311a must be met. In addition to the courses required for the master of arts in musicology, the following are required:

  • MUS 401-406 Era Courses (choose two) 8 units
  • Music Electives (variable; depending upon Dissertation Research units. See below.)
  • Interdisciplinary Courses 8 units
  • Dissertation Research (optional, advisor discretion) 2 or 4 units
  • Transdisciplinary course requirement. For more information, please see the T-course page.

Transfer Units

Doctoral degree students may request the transfer of a maximum of 24 units of appropriate course work, completed with a grade of B or better at other accredited graduate institutions. Up to thirty units of credit for master's degrees in music received from Claremont Graduate University may be applied toward doctoral degrees. Transfer units to be applied toward a degree should be requested within two weeks of the beginning of the semester in which a student enters a graduate program.

Obtaining a Master's Degree Along the Way to a Doctorate

Music students entering doctoral programs without a master's degree already in hand may qualify to receive one while working towards the doctorate: see for details, including the procedure for requesting such a degree.  In addition to the requirements stated on that page, Music students who wish to receive a master's 'along the way' must have completed at least 48 units at CGU that are both applicable to the doctoral degree they are earning and that include the core course requirements for the master's degree they wish to receive.  Such Music students also must satisfactorily complete all recital (or, if appropriate, composition) and language-tool requirements for the specific master's degree they seek.

Other Requirements

It is the responsibility of the student to meet all the degree requirements outlined in the official CGU Bulletin and other pertinent documents governing specific degree programs. A student requesting an exception to a degree requirement must submit a petition to the registrar well in advance of the deadline for the requirement. All such petitions must have the endorsement of the student's graduate faculty.

For detailed information about degree requirements, please refer to the Music Department Handbook and the CGU Bulletin.

2014 Claremont Graduate University Music Department Stauffer Hall of Learning 925 N. Dartmouth Ave., Claremont, CA 91711 (909) 621-3289