Student Guide to Grades at CGU




The information on this page is intended to provide you with a guide to understanding CGU grades and grading policies.

Official disclosures about CGU grades are provided on the back of the official CGU transcript, typically referred to as the Transcript Legend.  Since grading policies have changed over the years, you should also refer to the Transcript Legend - Historical Disclosure

Types of Grades

CGU uses letter grades, S/U grades, and other grade notations to indicate academic achievement in a course.  In certain instances, enrollment notations are used instead of grades.

Letter Grades.  Grades include the A, B, C series and their variations; S (Satisfactory) and U (Unsatisfactory); AU (Audit Satisfactory); GP (Grade Pending); and I (Incomplete).  The traditional letter grades (A, B, C), their variations, and the U grade are factored into your grade point average (GPA).  GP, I, and S do not affect your GPA.

Enrollment Notations.  Enrollment notations include W (Withdrawn) and Y (Unreported Evaluation).

Grades and enrollment notations are further divided into two categories--temporary and permanent.

  • There are only two temporary grades/notations.  These are I and GP. 
  • Permanent grades/notations include everything except I and GP. 

The distinction between permanent and temporary grades is used to regulate grade changes.


Letter Grades

Official CGU grades include A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, and C-.

D and F are not valid grades at CGU.  If an instructor reports a D or F grade, the grade is translated and posted as U (Unsatisfatory).


Unless a course or degree requirement insists upon a letter grade, you may request a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grade from the instructor.  No special form is required.  Students request S/U grading direct from the instructor before the end of the semester in which the course is taken.

Instructors are not required to assign S/U grades, unless S/U grading is required by the course itself.  The decision to issue an S/U grade as an alternative to a letter grade is entirely within the authority of the instructor.

An S grade earns units but does not factor into your GPA.  It is important to note that a U grade will negatively impact your GPA and have implications beyond your GPA.  Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), eligibility for financial aid, and continued international student status may all be advsersely affected by a U grade.  Contact the appropriate office for guidance.

CGU does not utilize the Pass/Fail (P/F) grading scheme.  Grades received from instructors that assign P/F are translated appropriately as S/U.


Audit Grades

If you are enrolled in a class on an audit basis, your instructor will assign the appropriate grade for your audit.  AU (Audit) is assigned if you successfully completed the course.  U (Unsatisfactory) is assigned if you did not complete the course or if you abandoned the course and failed to drop it from your schedule. 

Temporary Grades/Notations

Incomplete (I) and Grade Pending (GP) are notations used to indicate that a permanent grade is expected within a defined period of time.  When the time period for a temporary notation expires, the designator is replaced by a permanent grade. 

Incomplete Grades.  The expiration date of an Incomplete grade is the date your instructor must submit a new grade to the Registrar's Office.  If you receive an I grade, submit outstanding work to your instructor to allow time for evaluation and submission of a new grade by this date.  If you need additional time, you may request one extension by subitting Petition for Extension of Incomplete.  If the Incomplete period expires, and no new grade has been received by the Registrar's Office, your grade lapses as designated by your instructor or to U (Unsatisfactory).  An instructor is not required to accept additional work for consideration or evaluation after expiration of the Incomplete time period.  If work is accepted, however, the instructor may issue a Grade Change.  All grade changes are noted on your transcript with the date of the change and the original grade.  For more information, refer to the web page on Incomplete Grades.

Grades Pending.  Instructors may issue a GP if a grade cannot be reported to the Registrar's Office by the grading deadline established by the Academic Calendar.  A grade is expected within a reasonable time following the due date.  When reviews for Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) begin, any outstanding GP grades default to a Y (Unreported Evaluation) notation.


Enrollment Notations

Withdrawn (W) indicates that you withdrew from a course after the deadline announced in the Academic Calendar.  A W notation does not affect your GPA and is neither punitive nor negative.

Unreported Evaluation (Y) signifies that no grade was reported by your instructor.   Y is assigned when the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) review begins and either no grade has been received for a class in which you were enrolled or a GP was issued and no follow-up grade reported.  Like W, the Y is neither punitive nor negative.  Y does not affect your GPA.  However, courses for which the Y has been assigned cannot be used to fulfill a degree requirement.


Grade Changes

Once permanent grades have been assigned, grade changes may be made only in the most exceptional of circumstances.  All grade changes are recorded on your transcript with the date of the change and the original grade.  Requests to assign a temporary grade (I or GP) as a new or replacement grade are not permitted.  The W notation may not be replaced by another grade.

Grade changes are reported by instructors to the Registrar's Office for any of the following conditions.

Reporting Errors.  If a grade was reported or recorded incorrectly, the instructor must notify the Registrar's Office.

Outstanding Work.  New grades are expected to replace a temporary notation (I or GP).  Upon evaluation of your work, the instructor will issue a permanent grade.  Instructors are not required to accept nor evaluate work after a permanent grade has been assigned in the course.

Re-evaluations.  Under certain circumstances, an instructor may accept and evaluate work for issuance of a new grade.  Grade changes must be approved by the dean and reported to the Registrar's Office.  When recorded on your transcript, the date of the grade change and the original, permanent grade is recorded as a transcript note.


Academic Probation

If you are placed on academic probation due to Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), you should monitor your student record to ensure that the hold is released whenever you have satisfied the conditions that caused you to be placed on academic probation.  Holds are not automatically removed whenever new grades are submitted since there are separate processes involved.

  • Notify the Registrar's Office by e-mail to  Specify that you have satisfied the requirements of the academic probation hold and request that the hold be removed.
  • You may also contact your department, which can notify the Registrar's Office.

Each semester, an announcement is made to all students several weeks before registration begins.  At that time, you are asked to review your student record on the portal to ensure that all holds have been addressed and cleared from your record.  The academic probation hold prevents you from registering for classes, so it is important that you verify your student record on a regular basis.


Verifying Your Student Record

In order to ensure accuracy and timely follow-up for any corrections, verify your student record on a regular basis through the student portal.  Make sure that all of your courses have been recorded and that a grade has been assigned for all courses that require a grade.  Changes to a semester's enrollment information may not be made after the last business day of that semester.

The Registrar's Office stresses the importance of regular verification of your student record information as part of Maintaining Your Student Status.  If instructors--such as visiting and adjunct faculty--are unavailable or difficult to locate because a period of time has lapsed since your enrollment in a course, changes or corrections may become impossible.



The Registrar's Office or your department


Return to the registrar's website. 


2014 Claremont Graduate University 150 E. 10th St., Claremont, CA 91711 (909) 621-8000 Campus Safety Emergency Info Campus Map/Directions Give us feedback