CGU's Preliminary Credential + MA Program
Multiple-Subject, Single-Subject & Education Specialist (mild/moderate or moderate/severe)
What is a Preliminary Credential?
In the state of California, credentialing is a two-step process. The first credential a teacher needs to earn is a Preliminary Credential. If you are new to the teaching profession, you would first work towards your Preliminary Credential. Per California State law, within five years of earning a Preliminary Credential, a teacher must earn a Clear Credential from an approved Induction Program. A teacher cannot start working towards a Clear Credential until he/she has earned a Preliminary Credential. CGU has both a Preliminary Credential Program and an Induction/Clear Program that leads to a Clear Credential. CGU’s Induction/Clear Program is a great alternative to BTSA, a district-run Induction Program. CGU also has a “Direct to Clear Path” that allows a person to earn a Preliminary, a Master of Arts in Education, and a Clear Credential in just six semesters (with the option of the last two of these semesters teaching outside of Southern California). The “Direct to Clear” Path is the most expedited path to full credentialing.
Who should get a Preliminary Credential?
In the state of California, credentialing is a two-step process. The first credential a teacher needs to earn is a Preliminary Credential. If you are new to the teaching profession, you would first work towards your Preliminary Credential.
What kinds of Preliminary Credentials & MAs does CGU offer?
CGU's Teacher Education Programoffers a variety of Preliminary California teaching credential programs to students who seek to transform lives through teaching. Our candidates simultaneously earn their teaching credential and Masters of Arts degree. (Teachers with advanced degrees are considered more highly qualified and thus are more marketable and earn more than teachers without advanced degrees.)
- Preliminary MULTIPLE-SUBJECT Credential for those who want to teach in elementary schools.
- Preliminary SINGLE-SUBJECT Credentials for those who want to work in middle- and high-schools teaching a specific subject
- Preliminary ENGLISH Credential+ MA in Education
- Preliminary SCIENCE Credential+ MA in Education
- Preliminary MATH Credential. Candidates in Math can either earn a MA in Education or MA in Mathematics!
- Preliminary SPANISH Credential + MA in Education.
- Preliminary SOCIAL STUDIES/HISTORY Credential + MA in Education.
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credentials for those who want to work with students who have disabilities
- Preliminary MILD/MODERATE Credential + MA in Education
- Preliminary MODERATE/SEVERE Credential + MA in Education
Why earn a Preliminary Credential + MA at CGU?
Principals tell us our Preliminary Credential alumni graduate akin to 4th or 5th year teachers and are among the best in California. Indeed, are graduates have been named Teacher of the Year in California, Los Angeles County, and San Bernardino County (2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012). Our reputation for quality means are teachers are highly recruited and are often fast-tracked into leadership. Alumni tell us “I got hired because I am from CGU…I got promoted because of what I learned at CGU.”
We are more affordable than you’d think! On average, 80% of our students receive tuition fellowships, and 90% participate in loan repayment programs. Applicants should make an appointment for a one-on-one admissions consultation that includes a financial aid assessment. Schedule an appointment now!
CGU’s Preliminary + MA Program can be completed in 15-19 months!
We have two paths that allow Preliminary Candidates to earn money while in the program. The Internship Path allows candidates to be employed as fully-salaried, fully responsible teachers in their own K-12 classrooms. The Early-Start Residency Path provides multiple-subject and history candidates a living stipend while working in a K-12 classroom under the tutelage of a CGU Master Teacher. In CGU’s Induction/Clear Program, teachers can work as fully-salaried teachers while pursuing their Clear Credential.
Get promoted quicker.
Because our candidates simultaneously earn a MA and their California teaching credential, they earn higher salaries than teachers who don’t have advanced degrees. Additionally, a substantial number CGU alumni are promoted to leadership positions within 5 years of graduating.
Easy application process.
The application process is simple. No GRE needed. Click here for an application.
- To learn more about CGU's Multiple-Subject and Single-Subject Programs, contact CGU's General Education Coordinator at 909.621.8076.
- To learn more about CGU's Education Specialist Programs, contact CGU's Special Education Coordinator at 909.621.8076
Information for current students in CGU's Preliminary Credential + MA Program