Project VOICE: Vietnam, an Opportunity for Inter-Cultural Education (A Fulbright-Hays Group Travel Program)
In June 2010, CGU's Dr. DeLacy Ganley was awarded support from the Fulbright-Hays Group Travel Program to design and implement Project VOICE (Vietnam, an Opportunity for Inter-Cultural Education).
VOICE was designed for a cohort of 14 teachers working in or with Southern California elementary and secondary schools: 12 teacher candidates enrolled in Claremont Graduate University's Teacher Education Program and 2 "master teachers" selected for their curricular expertise, mentoring experience, and involvement in the preparation of TEIP teacher candidates.
VOICE focused on an in-depth study of Vietnamese history and culture to support the integration of international studies and culturally relevant curriculum/instruction in K-12 schools in Los Angeles County.
VOICE was hosted by Vietnam's University of Social Sciences and Humanities (USS&H). Dr. Phan Thi Thu Hien, co-director of USS&H's Department of Culturology, and Mr. Nguyen Ngoc Tho, a USS&H doctoral student, provided in-Vietnam support to VOICE.
VOICE had three phases:
- Phase 1. A 25-hour pre-trip orientation funded by CGU that took place in Southern California;
- Phase 2. A one-month sojourn in Vietnam funded by Fulbright-Hays Group Travel Program;
- Phase 3. A post-trip program funded by CGU that took place in Southern California.
During the Phase 2's one-month sojourn, VOICE Participants
- Conducted a one-week teaching practicum in schools;
- Designed and conducted a five-day community outreach project;
- Received Vietnamese language instruction;
- Went on guided excursions;
- Participated in academic seminars;
- Completed two different anchor projects (a standards-based curricular unit on Vietnam and an multimedia memoir that chronicled their experience and their evolving sense of what it means to be a culturally relevant educator).
These activities contributed to the requirements associated with earning a Preliminary California teaching credential and MA in Education.
Following are some documents related to Project VOICE: