A Master of Arts in Philosophy at CGU gives you the rigorous reasoning and analytical skills that are the hallmark of all philosophical activity.
The MA program is ideal for students seeking to enhance their prospects of being accepted into competitive PhD programs in philosophy as well as for those who wish to pursue careers with high demand for strong reasoning and analytical skills, including law, business, journalism, and more. Highly flexible curriculum accommodates your individual needs and goals, and you need not have majored in undergraduate philosophy to thrive in our program. We emphasize graduate-level research through our capstone writing project, which provides a solid foundation for a highly polished writing sample that may be used by those wishing to apply to PhD programs.
- Our program is MA only, so our students receive more personalized attention than those at schools featuring PhD programs.
- The abundant resources of The Claremont Colleges and other CGU departments mean that our curriculum rivals that of much larger philosophy departments.
- Transdisciplinarity is a hallmark of CGU. Students are encouraged to enrich their curriculum by taking courses outside the Philosophy Department.
- Our seminar-style classes rarely have more than 12 students.
- We award merit-based fellowships funding up to the full cost of tuition for entering students. In addition, we offer a select number of research assistantship positions that allow students to collaborate with faculty and receive a departmental stipend each semester.