DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT FOR CISAT & INSTITUTE OF MATH SCIENCES
JOB POSTING #875
Starting Salary: Dependent Upon Qualifications
Closing Date: Until Filled
The Director of Development is part of a collegial team of advancement officers who provide leadership for fundraising efforts within the Center for Information Systems and Technology (CISAT) and the Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMS) of Claremont Graduate University (CGU), as the University prepares for an ambitious comprehensive campaign.
The candidate will work with the Vice President for Advancement, Institute Directors, the faculty, alumni, volunteers, and other professional staff to achieve annual and long-term gift targets.
- Staffs and supports the vice president, president, Institute Directors and faculty in the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gift donors.
- Supports and/or builds boards of advisors and creates opportunities for their involvement in consultation with the Institute Directors.
- Ensures the advisory board in achieving its mission, and solicits them as individuals with guidance from the Institute Directors and encouraging them as fundraising volunteers.
- Supports the Institutes by working with the directors and faculty to engage major prospects.
- Prepares and implements a program to identify and involve CISAT and IMS donors with the capacity to make a major gift, initiating personal contacts and beginning a prospect cultivation plan.
- Creates and implements written involvement and solicitation strategies for prospective donors.
- Personally cultivates and solicits gifts.
- Drafts his/her own correspondence, that of the directors and volunteers for Advancement purposes, and drafts donor publicity materials for university communications.
- Completes periodic progress reports as requested by the vice president of advancement.
- Works as part of the advancement team, respectful and collegial to other development staff, alumni affairs staff, and marketing and communications personnel, and represents the university with integrity, poise and professionalism.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of CGU’s mission.
- Knowledge and experience in identifying, engaging and soliciting significant gifts from individuals, corporations and foundations.
- Full participation in the life of IMS, CISAT, and the university.
- Represent the university with integrity and poise.
- Demonstrated track record of soliciting individuals/organizations for financial investments and the ability to articulate and advocate a strong case for support.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
Individual must possess knowledge, skills and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Present, with conviction and enthusiasm, the case for private support of higher education and the particular merits of CGU and its Institutes.
- Must be a strong collaborator, individual contributor, and team player who can develop authentic partnerships within the department and throughout the organization.
- Knowledge and appreciation for mathematics and the technical sciences.
- Be adept in personal time-management and the ability to properly support and assist the Vice President for Advancement, Institute Directors, board members, faculty, and others integral to the fundraising process.
- Familiarity with donor tracking systems.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people.
- Must be willing to work flexible schedule as needed, which will include some evenings and weekends. Overnight travel is required.
- High level of professionalism in both appearance and demeanor is required.
Bachelor’s degree, MBA preferred; or any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Five or more years’ related experience working in the educational, non-profit or corporate environment is required. Experience in soliciting gifts from individuals and organizations, working with volunteer boards, and/or providing organizational support is desired. (Non-paid volunteer experiences may be considered). Must possess a valid California Driver’s License and be able to travel to meet with donors. Evening and weekend hours are required and over-night travel is expected.