DIRECTOR OF CORPORATE & FOUNDATION RELATIONS
JOB POSTING #876
Starting Salary: Dependent Upon Qualifications
Closing Date: Until Filled
Claremont Graduate University (CGU) is seeking an experienced and strategic Director of Corporate and Foundations Relations to work proactively with academic leaders, faculty, administrators and Advancement colleagues to seek support for university programs and research from institutional donors, including foundations, corporations and independent organizations. Reporting to Vice President for Advancement, the Director will play a central role in formulating and executing Foundation and Corporate fundraising strategy as the University prepares for an ambitious comprehensive campaign.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of corporations and foundations; Conduct prospect research and identification, proposal writing and editing, solicitation and stewardship activities.
- Coordinate submission of grant proposals; Review, edit, and rewrite, as necessary, proposals in consultation with faculty and administrators.
- Work closely with the Office of Sponsored Research to coordinate fundraising efforts.
- Meet on a regular basis with department heads and faculty to stay informed of current program interests and institutional priorities and to promote specific funding opportunities.
- Conduct fundraising workshops on prospect identification and proposal writing for faculty and administrators.
- Work with the Assistant Director of Corporate & Foundation Relations and other colleagues to build a productive and effective overall corporate and foundation relations program.
- Identify emerging business leadership and industry trends and identify, evaluate, cultivate and solicit philanthropic commitments to support the mission and goals of the University.
- Work closely with Alumni Relations staff, development directors, and other university representatives to create opportunities to build awareness among corporate and foundation constituencies in order to build and expand positive fundraising relationships.
- Develop highly competitive proposals for corporate and foundation prospects and leverage diverse corporate and foundation goals and preferences in conjunction with university goals.
- Maintain a rigorous schedule of contacts with corporate and foundation representatives, creating moves management plans related to them, compelling presentations and comprehensive fundraising proposals.
- Maintain high quality stewardship for active corporate and foundation prospects and donors. Ensure that stewardship and reporting requirements are met to sustain successful partnerships by maintaining detailed records.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
Individual must possess knowledge, skills and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- This position requires a high degree of professionalism and an ability to interact with a variety of entities and individuals to significantly increase the visibility of the University.
- Candidate must be capable of conveying appropriate messages and representing the University to the corporate and foundation community to encourage and facilitate interest in and support of the University’s mission and goals.
- Superior organizational, analytical and planning skills.
- Must possess a high attention to detail.
- Qualified candidates must have highly developed computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and email systems.
- Ability to work independently, problem solve, handle confidential information, and navigate sensitive situations.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with a broad range of internal and external constituents.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of people.
Bachelor’s degree, an MBA degree is preferre, (Additional education may substitute for experience.) or any combination of education and experience that provides the required skills and ability. Five or more years’ experience in fundraising – with at least three years in foundation grant-seeking and proposal development, preferably in higher education. Must possess a valid California Driver’s License and meet CGU’s authorized driver requirements to be able to travel to meet with donors. Evening and weekend hours are required and over-night travel is expected.