DIRECTOR OF ADVANCEMENT, LOS ANGELES COUNTY
JOB POSTING #878
Starting Salary: Dependent Upon Qualifications
Closing Date: Until Filled
The campus seeks an experienced, highly motivated fundraising professional to serve as Director of Advancement as Claremont Graduate University (CGU) prepares for an ambitious comprehensive campaign. Under the general direction of the Vice President for Advancement, the Director of Advancement’s major responsibilities will include managing a portfolio of prospective donors in Los Angeles County who give or are capable of giving $25,000 and above. The regional Director will identify, qualify, cultivate, and solicit prospective donors and solicit new and increased annual gifts of $1,000+.
This position will design and implement comprehensive strategies to identify, cultivate, and steward high capacity individuals, build engagement of these individuals, create gift opportunities based on their interests, formulate and coordinate fundraising strategies, and determine appropriate assignment for significant donors.
The Director will work closely with their colleagues in divisional and central development offices and may involve the trustees, other high-level volunteers, and academic leaders in connecting these donors to the campus to deepen their interest and involvement. The Director of Advancement will consult with the Vice President for Advancement to develop and implement donor strategy.
- The top fundraisers for the central development office include the regional Directors of Advancement. Each regional Director makes more than 180 scheduled meetings annually with constituents of the University.
- Because of this group’s concentrated representation in Southern California especially, the regional program will maximize the donor’s potential and passion to invest in any area of CGU.
- This position will actively solicit for gifts of $1,000 or more to identify potential major, special and planned giving donors.
- This regional Director of Advancement’s assigned regions include cities and territories that are considered part of Los Angeles County.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
Individual must possess knowledge, skills and ability to be able to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions will be performed, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Ability to cultivate and solicit private gifts from high level prospects
- Must be a self-starter
- Must be able to travel; Required ability to conduct business in Orange County and attend briefing and fundraising meetings on the CGU Campus in Claremont, CA
- Ability to use personal computer in a Microsoft environment
- Preference for candidate to have experience with Major gift fundraising in Higher Education ($25k and up)
- Knowledge of the full spectrum of development practice, principles and activities, including gift policies, solicitations, stewardship, donor recognition, administration, working with high-level volunteer committees, and the ability to apply this knowledge creatively to specific fund-raising projects.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively with the Dean, faculty, administrators, community leaders, volunteers, donors, and other staff including people of differing temperaments, socioeconomic backgrounds and political/ethical philosophies.
Bachelor’s Degree, an MBA degree is preferred, (Additional education may substitute for experience.) or any combination of education and experience that provides the required skills and ability. Four or more years’ related experience working in the educational, non-profit or corporate environment is required. Experience in soliciting gifts from individuals and organizations, working with volunteer boards, and providing organizational support is desired. Must have a proven track record of face-to-face major gift solicitation. Must possess a valid California Driver’s License and meet CGU’s authorized driver requirements to be able to travel to meet with donors. Evening and weekend hours are required and over-night travel is expected.