Why the Institute of Mathematical Sciences?
The Institute of Mathematical Sciences is ideal for students fresh out of undergraduate mathematics programs as well as for working professionals looking to expand their portfolios. Our programs accept full- and part-time students and feature flexible scheduling to help you balance your studies with your professional obligations.
IMS faculty members are accomplished, well-known scientists in their fields who greatly value teaching. CGU’s intimate, seminar-style classroom environment allows us to get to know our students individually and excite their interest in applications of mathematics, statistics, and computing to various areas of science and engineering. Our internationally recognized Engineering and Industrial Applied Mathematics Clinic offers students first-hand experience in solving significant mathematical problems for industry and government clients. And, as a member of the Claremont Center for the Mathematical Sciences, we offer the resources of a larger institution, including 60 mathematics faculty, additional opportunities for research, and more.
Facts & Statistics
The Institute of Mathematical Sciences was founded in the late 1960s. It currently has:
- 137 students in our various math programs
- 43 students in the Financial Engineering program
- 36 percent international students
- 10:1 student-to-faculty ratio (MA and PhD)
- 5 full-time faculty members
- More than 600 registered alumni
- Partner programs with San Diego State University; California State University, Long Beach; and CGU’s Drucker-Ito School of Management