The university has made temporary changes to enrollment requirements to assist those impacted by testing center closures related to 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
Claremont Graduate University welcomes international students from all over the world. Representing more than 60 countries, CGU’s international students add to the diversity, culture, and scholarship of the university.
Learn more about the International student experience at CGU:
Why International Students Thrive at CGU
- Location: Claremont, California, known as a “City of Trees and PhDs,” is a suburb of sunny Los Angeles. California is an international hub and the world’s fifth largest economy. Opportunities abound for networking and employment.
- Global Student Body: CGU’s student body is 22% international, representing students from across 60 countries. We are the leader in international enrollment within the prestigious Claremont Colleges.
- Fellowships: International students are eligible for departmental and institutional merit and need-based awards up to $30,000 per year.
- Active College Town: International students enjoy a safe, vibrant atmosphere with the Claremont Village, hiking trails, and skiing all nearby. Students can take advantage of free bus rides and bike-friendly neighborhoods.
- Housing: Student housing is adjacent to campus or a short distance away, right in the heart of the Claremont Village.
- Convenient Access: There are three airports accessible to campus, and we are close to a train station serviced by Amtrak and Los Angeles Metro.
- Personalized Approach: You are a name here, not a number. We approach your educational options with your unique goals in mind.
- International Student Life: Our vibrant office of International Services is strongly connected within CGU and across the Claremont Colleges, and woven into our overall student life experience.
- Diversity: Our faculty and staff are multi-cultural and represent diverse cultures and backgrounds from across the world.
- 100% Graduate: We specialize in graduate student education, with over 90 years of experience educating over 23,000 alumni from diverse countries.
In addition to specific English proficiency requirements and international transcript guidelines, international applicants must abide by the same general admission requirements and processes that are required of domestic applicants. Visit our Frequently Asked Questions to view general admission requirements and use our Resources to guide you through the process.
Final deadlines for international students vary from domestic applicants to allow for the necessary lead time for international student enrollment.
*Extended to August 15 for Fall 2020
A valid score on one of the following examinations TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson PTE scores is required of all non-native English speaking applicants. The examination is not required for the following applicants:
- Citizens or permanent residents of countries where English is the sole official language of instruction. e.g., Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada (except Quebec), England, Ghana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, Scotland, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad, Tobago, Uganda, and Wales (see the CGU Bulletin for a complete list of accepted countries).
- Applicants who hold an undergraduate or advanced degree, or will have earned such a degree prior to enrolling at CGU, from an institution in the US or in countries where English is the sole official language of instruction (see above).
- Applicants who have successfully completed an academic English pre-master’s or intensive graduate bridge program from a nationally recognized, regionally accredited four-year college or university in the United States in the last two years, with submitted evidence of successful completion, and subject to curriculum approval.
Examination scores must be sent to CGU directly by the testing agency. Self-reported scores are not considered official. Scores must be considered valid by the testing agency. CGU’s school code for the TOEFL exam is 4053.
Minimum score requirements for direct entry:
TOEFL – 95
IELTS – 7.0 with no sub-score less than a 6.5
Pearson PTE – 66
Minimum scores for admission through the International Scholars Program:
TOEFL – 75
IELTS – 6.0
Pearson PTE – 50
*For more information on the International Scholars Program and scores required for Module 2 entry please visit the International Scholars Program web page.
Once you have been admitted into a CGU academic program, staff from the Office of Student Life, Diversity & Leadership will assist you with processing the required I-20 (F-1 student visa status) or DS-2019 (J-1 scholar visa status). The requirements for obtaining an I-20 or DS-2019 are listed below:
Tuition Deposit/Intent to Enroll
Confirm your plans to enroll at CGU by paying your non-refundable tuition deposit using the links below based on your program of study.
Affidavit of Financial Support
International students must submit a signed Affidavit of Financial Support form to verify they have the financial means to attend CGU.
Financial Statement or Proof
International students must also submit financial proof (e.g. bank document or letter from sponsor) of the statements made on the Affidavit of Financial Support form.
SEVIS Transfer Requirements
If you currently have an active SEVIS record, please contact your current university’s international advisor to begin the process of transferring your SEVIS record to CGU.
Copy of Passport
International students must submit a copy of their most recent passport.
Change of Status
If you are seeking a change of status to an F-1 or J-1, please refer to the “Change of Immigration Status” form and email the International Students office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After you receive your I-20 or DS-2019, you may apply for your visa at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your home country. You should allow at least one to two months for this process. For more information, visit the I-Place visa application page .
Interested in becoming a CGU international recruitment partner?
Current and prospective CGU recruitment partners can find more information on our international recruitment partners website.