The dual Master of Arts in Applied Psychology and Master of Public Health provides broad-based scholarship on health-relevant behaviors, as well as program development, evaluation, and research skills that are applicable in a wide range of public health settings.
Offered jointly with the School of Community and Global Health, this distinctive track of study explores how social science knowledge, concepts, and methods—particularly in applied psychology—impact public health policy. Students earn both an MA in Applied Psychology and an MPH, giving them the necessary expertise to conduct research concerning behavioral risk factors and to evaluate behavioral interventions to improve health outcomes among diverse populations. With emphasis in both research and practice, the program explores the political, historical, economic, and social dimensions of health promotion and health services delivery. You’ll be guided by leading faculty-scholars from the social sciences and public health sectors toward this specialized degree that prepares you for a career in public health policy.
- Curriculum and graduate seminars provide students with the theoretical, methodological, and practical experience to pursue careers in academia or in a range of high-level research and consulting positions.
- Students are required to complete 64 units in 20 courses. Full-time students can complete the program in as few as five semesters and will be enrolled in fall and spring semesters (16 units or less per semester). Part-time study is also available.
- Proximity to local health departments in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties offers employment and educational opportunities.
- Classroom discussion and projects use the latest technologies to enhance learning and presentation skills, including in-class multimedia lectures and demonstrations.
- The SCGH Student Association provides opportunities for leadership and impact through community service, dialogue, and special events.
- The Division of Behavioral & Organizational Sciences offers a certificate program and professional development workshops in evaluation and applied methods for those seeking continuing education.