The MA Program in Applied Cognitive Psychology: User Experience offers you training in cognitive psychology research and theory, with a focus on how human information processing informs the design of products and services.
User Experience (UX) is an empirical approach that puts human needs, cognitive capabilities, and behavior first, and then designs to accommodate them. Good design starts with an understanding of psychology and technology, and requires successful communication, especially from machine to person, about what is happening, what is about to happen, and what actions are possible. In this program, you will study the cognitive principles most relevant to determining human capabilities and design needs, and develop empirical methods for assessing the effectiveness of implemented designs and the overall user experience.
- This 48-unit terminal MA program will train you in three critical domains: cognitive psychology, user experience, and research methods and statistics.
- A unique feature of this program is the practice component: you will be required to complete a field internship in human-centered design. Typically, this internship is completed as an independent study project with a core faculty member during the summer between the first and second years.
- You will have the opportunity to work with CGU’s Career Development Office, where you will receive support and guidance in every aspect of career planning. Career planning is about the strategic decisions you make and the experiences you gain while at CGU to ensure you are strongly positioned to transition from the program into your desired career.
- UX researchers are highly employable, and land jobs at companies across a broad range of industries, from tech to healthcare. Read the Nielsen Norman Group report on UX careers.
- This program is STEM designated, allowing international students who hold F-1 visas to apply for OPT work authorizations for a total of 36 months (an initial 1-year period and a 24-month OPT STEM extension) of paid work experience in the U.S. after graduation.