In the MA Program in Applied Cognitive Psychology: User Experience, you will gain the skills to apply cognitive psychology theory and empirical research to create human-centered solutions. This program prepares graduates for promising careers in user experience research, product design, and human-computer interaction.
User Experience (UX) is an empirical approach to design that prioritizes human needs, cognitive capabilities, and behavior. Human-centered design starts with a deep understanding of psychology to create successful interactions between people and the devices, applications, and interfaces they use. In this program, you will learn the cognitive principles and research methods needed to create intuitive digital experiences and evaluate existing solutions. Join us in shaping how cutting-edge technology transforms the human experience.
- Our 48-unit terminal MA program equips graduates with advanced knowledge in cognitive psychology, user experience, research methods, and statistics, preparing you for a successful career in User Experience.
- Stand out from other recent graduates with hands-on experience. Our program’s unique practical component includes professional internships and work opportunities in the Games & Interactive Technology Lab. By completing the required field internship, typically undertaken during the summer between your first and second years, you will graduate with relevant work experience on your resume.
- Attend our bi-monthly UX Lunch event series, featuring speakers from diverse domains who share their professional experiences and work examples. Receive in-depth guidance on building an impressive UX portfolio, mastering job applications, and excelling in interviews.
- In addition to the one-on-one coaching you’ll receive from your advisor, you’ll benefit from comprehensive career support services through CGU’s Career Development Office to transition seamlessly from the program into your desired career. Throughout the program, students are connected with industry events and conferences in the UX field, fostering networking opportunities and keeping you informed about the constantly evolving technology landscape.
- UX researchers are highly employable, and land jobs at companies across a broad range of industries, from tech to healthcare. Read the Nielsen Norman Group report on UX careers.
- This program is STEM designated, allowing international students who hold F-1 visas to apply for OPT work authorizations for a total of 36 months (an initial 1-year period and a 24-month OPT STEM extension) of paid work experience in the U.S. after graduation.